Quiz on Bicycle Helmets
Objective: Students will use the Internet site to search for the answers to the questions about bicycle helmets.
Objective: Students will learn the benefits of wearing safety helmets when riding bicycles.
1. What 3 things should you look for to determine which helmet is the best to buy?
2. For the coolest helmet you should look at the helmet's ventilation.
What does ventilation depend on?
3. How much would the least expensive helmet cost?
How much would the most expensive helmet cost?
Do cheap helmets protect as well as expensive ones?
4. CPSC sets a helmet standard. What do the letters CPSC stand for?
Clue: Go the question "What about helmet standards?" and find the blue words "page comparing the standards". Click on the words and scroll down to #2. When you find the answer, click on the "BACK" button to get back to the beginning (Home Page) for the next question.
5. Would it be easy to find a helmet for kids from ages 1 to 5?
6. Why are there no helmets for tiny heads?
7. Find 3 things that parents should look for in a child's helmet.
Clue: Go to the question "Kid's helmets?" and find the blue
words "more on kid's helmets. Scroll down and look for big
black words. Click on "BACK" button to return to beginning.
8. List 3 ways you can tell if your helmet is on backwards.
9. When should a helmet be replaced?
10. Do we have mandatory helmet laws here?
11. Look at the statistics on helmets. List 2 statistics that you find interesting.
12. What 2 things must you do for the helmet to work correctly and protect your head in a crash?
13. List two reasons why it is not safe to have beads braided in your hair or a baseball cap on while wearing your helmet.
8< - - - - - - - - Cut here - - - - - - - - >8
If we put answers here, the students will find them too! For answers, teachers
can contact us by
email and we will email them back to your school address. Or you can call us at (703) 486-0100. We require your name, school and grade to send answers. You can share answers, so only one teacher per school has to do this. The disk in our Toolkit containing our Helmet Promotion Program Manual has answers on the disk.
This quiz was initially prepared by Jeanne Smith,
a 5th and 6th grade Science teacher at Mt. Ida Elementary in Mt.
Ida, Arkansas. Her email address is JSMIT@mties.dmsc.k12.ar.us
We are grateful to her for providing it for distribution.
This page was updated or partially revised on: March 17, 2015.